Berlin (AFP) – Injury-prone Germany winger Marco Reus returned for Borussia Dortmund on Saturday against Bundesliga strugglers Hamburg having been sidelined for the last 259 days by a torn cruciate knee ligament.
Reus, 28, has been out since suffering the injury in last May’s German Cup final, when Dortmund beat Eintracht Frankfurt in the Berlin showcase.
On Saturday, Reus led out the home team at Dortmund’s Signal Iduna Park stadium.
He started as an attacking midfielder behind Belgium striker Michy Batshuayi, who is on loan from Chelsea and scored twice on his Dortmund debut a week ago.
Four months before the World Cup kicks off in Russia, Reus needs to stay fit.
A string of injuries have restricted him to 29 international appearances and nine goals for Germany after twice being the victim of desperately bad luck.
An ankle injury suffered in the final warm-up game before the 2014 World Cup in Brazil ruled the playmaker out of Germany’s title-winning squad.
He then missed the finals of Euro 2016 with a persistent groin injury.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Frankfurt ready to rock Rangers in Seville under Borre’s influence
- Late goal spree takes Moroccan club Berkane to CAF Cup final
- Brentford duo report racist abuse of family at Everton
- Mbappe says decision ‘almost’ made over PSG future
- Martinez brace ensures Inter take title race to final week
- Suarez bids Atletico farewell as Sevilla qualify for Champions League
- Sevilla draw with Atletico to qualify for Champions League
- Orlando Pirates reach CAF Cup final despite shock home defeat
- What is the best soccer game you have watched?
- Pochettino says French title ‘not enough’ but PSG can rebuild