Milan (AFP) – Italian football federation sub-commissioner Alessandro Costacurta said Thursday there were “six or seven names” in the hat for the Italy coaching job.
Former AC Milan defender Costacurta has been given the task of finding a successor to Gian Piero Ventura who was sacked after Italy failed to qualify for the World Cup.
Former Italy midfielder Luigi Di Biagio has been appointed interim coach but is seen as an outsider among a star-studded line-up of coaches linked with the job including Zenit St Petersburg’s Roberto Mancini, Chelsea boss Antonio Conte, former Leicester coach Claudio Ranieri, now in charge of French club Nantes, and Carlo Ancelotti, who is available after being sacked by Bayern Munich.
“Mancini isn’t the only one, but I can’t speak about those who are under contract at the moment,” said Costacurta.
“The choice of Di Biagio was automatic, he’s the best we could have at this point in time. He’s an excellent coach, his motivation thrilled me.
“He could even guide our movement from September when Italy’s journey will start again.
“There are six or seven names to choose from for the next coach.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Guardiola adamant winning Premier League harder than Champions League
- Klopp refuses to dream of stunning Premier League title triumph
- Berkane sink Pirates on penalties to maintain Moroccan dominance
- Ecuador World Cup spot at risk after potential ineligible player
- Real Madrid look to Liverpool after goalless draw with Real Betis
- McKennie back in US squad for June friendlies, Nations League
- FIFA to announce 2026 World Cup host cities in June
- Rangers seek Scottish Cup silver lining after Europa pain
- Rangnick to meet Ten Hag as Man Utd seek Europa League salvation
- EPL commentators on NBC: May 22