Madrid (AFP) – Zinedine Zidane insisted Friday he was “strong enough” to drag Real Madrid out of their worst crisis since he was appointed manager in 2016.
The reigning Spanish and European champions travel to Valencia this weekend where defeat would leave the Frenchman hanging on to his job after the midweek Copa del Rey knock-out.
“I know it’s all a bit up and down but we have to learn from this,” Zidane told reporters with his team now out of the Cup and languishing 19 points behind leaders Barcelona in La Liga.
“I might be the only one seeing things positively,” said the former world class midfielder.
“If I thought there was a mental problem I’d leave tomorrow, but Wednesday was a very, very bad moment,” Zidane said of the quarter-final loss to Leganes.
“I feel strong enough to change the situation.”
“We can and will do absolutely everything to win the Champions League,” insisted Zidane, who can make Madrid only the third club to win the competition three consecutive times since Bayern Munich (74-76) and Ajax (71-73).
“We are not obsessed with it,” said Zidane before mentioning the date of the first-leg away at Paris Saint Germain which falls on February 14.
“We are just lucky to have a Champions League last-16 game, but we also have 18 league games and I’m sure better days are ahead.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Liverpool assess Salah, Van Dijk ahead of Southampton clash
- African players in Europe: Mane has last laugh on Mendy
- Anti-homophobia group demands PSG explain Gueye absence
- Where to find Newcastle vs. Arsenal on US TV
- Frankfurt ready to rock Rangers in Seville under Borre’s influence
- Late goal spree takes Moroccan club Berkane to CAF Cup final
- Brentford duo report racist abuse of family at Everton
- Mbappe says decision ‘almost’ made over PSG future
- Martinez brace ensures Inter take title race to final week
- Suarez bids Atletico farewell as Sevilla qualify for Champions League