Paris (AFP) – Brazilian midfielder Lucas Moura has said he is “gutted” at being frozen out at Paris Saint-Germain, in an interview published by L’Equipe on Monday.
Lucas had been a highly-rated target for Manchester United when he opted to join PSG from Sao Paulo in 2013 but he has fallen down the pecking order in the French capital since the arrival of countryman Neymar at the start of the season.
“It’s a brutal blow. I’m gutted that I’m no longer playing, to no longer be able to express myself as I was doing before,” Lucas told the online version of the French sports newspaper.
“I’m not happy. I thought I’d built something solid with this club, but that’s clearly not the case.”
The 25-year-old said he does not know what the future holds but has one eye on Spain’s La Liga.
“With my speed and technique, I could perform well there,” he added.
“But it doesn’t matter where I end up, I know what I’m capable of. I didn’t become an international by chance.”
Lucas has played 34 times for his country but following the world record acquisition of Neymar and the loan signing of teenage French starlet Kylian Mbappe, PSG have to sell to balance the books or else fall foul of UEFA’s financial fair play rules.
Together, those two transfers will cost PSG more than 400 million euros ($490 million) once they complete Mbappe’s permanent deal from Monaco at the end of this season.
They will hope to recuperate a chunk of that from the sale of a player they bought for around 45 million euros and who helped them win four straight Ligue 1 titles.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Chile name Argentine Berizzo as new coach after World Cup qualification failure
- Canada Soccer cancels Iran football friendly: statement
- Paris readies for Liverpool fan invasion
- How to watch Champions League Final for free without cable
- Aston Villa to sign Sevilla defender Diego Carlos
- RB Salzburg midfielder Aaronson joins Leeds
- Real Madrid remain Europe’s most valuable football club: studies
- Man Utd banking on Ten Hag to lift mood at Old Trafford
- Why possession is not the key factor in 2022 Champions League Final
- Bronze to leave Women’s Super League club Man City