Paris (AFP) – Paris Saint-Germain full-back Dani Alves insisted on Monday he has the broad shoulders and “well-placed” balls to live with criticism over his dismissal against Lyon on Sunday.
Alves was sent off for dissent just before the hour mark of PSG’s 2-1 defeat in Lyon after a furious reaction to a free-kick decision that went against him.
The score was 1-1 at the time but former Manchester United winger Memphis Depay blasted home an injury time scorcher to consign the French Ligue 1 leaders to only their second defeat of the season.
But the veteran Brazil international was anything but contrite in an Instagram post accusing referee Clement Turpin of “hiding” from a mistake by sending him off.
“Since when is disagreement a lack of respect?” said Alves.
“If people want to blame me, they can, they’re free to do so.
“I have wide enough shoulders and a well-placed pair that always keep me on my feet!”
Alves’s post was accompanied by a photo of him angrily squaring up to Turpin, almost forehead to forehead.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- African players in Europe: Mane has last laugh on Mendy
- Anti-homophobia group demands PSG explain Gueye absence
- Where to find Newcastle vs. Arsenal on US TV
- Frankfurt ready to rock Rangers in Seville under Borre’s influence
- Late goal spree takes Moroccan club Berkane to CAF Cup final
- Brentford duo report racist abuse of family at Everton
- Mbappe says decision ‘almost’ made over PSG future
- Martinez brace ensures Inter take title race to final week
- Suarez bids Atletico farewell as Sevilla qualify for Champions League
- Sevilla draw with Atletico to qualify for Champions League