Madrid (AFP) – Real Madrid defender Jesus Vallejo could be out for as long as six weeks after picking up a muscle injury in the Copa del Rey on Thursday, the European champions announced on Saturday.
“Following the tests carried out today on our player Jesus Vallejo at the Sanitas La Moraleja University Hospital, he has been diagnosed with a muscular injury to his right hamstring,” wrote Real on their website.
Central defender Vallejo picked up the injury during Real’s scrappy 1-0 win at Leganes in the Copa del Rey, and Madrid-based sports daily As predicting that the 21-year-old will be out for at least a month and will miss the last-16 Champions League clash with Paris Saint-Germain.
The loss of Vallejo is a blow to under-fire Zinedine Zidane, who is also without his captain Sergio Ramos thanks to a calf injury.
Zidane said on Saturday that Ramos should be back in team training “next week”, in time for the PSG match.
“He trained out on the pitch today and his recovery is going well,” he said ahead of Real’s Madrid home match with Deportivo La Coruna on Sunday.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- ‘One in a million’ Klopp makes Liverpool a European giant again
- Liverpool’s Diaz from indigenous community that breeds ‘toughness’
- Mbappe’s PSG to play three games in Japan in July
- The Spaniard raised at Barcelona who made Hong Kong football history
- ‘One in a million’ Klopp makes Liverpool a European giant once more
- Harmony reigns as Ancelotti and Real Madrid proves a winning combination
- Real Madrid remain Europe’s most valuable football club: report
- Tearful Mourinho hails Conference League ‘history’ for Roma
- Mbappe’s rumored benefits allow too much power for one player
- Zaniolo fires Roma to Conference League triumph over Feyenoord