Lausanne (AFP) – Former Chelsea winger Florent Malouda, who was given a two-match ban for playing for French Guiana at last year’s CONCACAF Gold Cup, will appeal his suspension at the Court of Arbitration for Sport on Wednesday.
The 37-year-old made 80 international appearances for France between 2004 and 2012, but became available for his country of birth as it is a non-FIFA association.
But he was ruled ineligible for the Gold Cup, as the North and Central American tournament uses FIFA rules.
Malouda played French Guiana’s second match in the United States last July anyway, meaning that the game was forfeited to Honduras after originally finishing as a 0-0 draw.
He was suspended for two games by CONCACAF, given a stadium ban and fined, while the Guiana Football League was also fined.
Malouda told AFP last month that he was considering his future as a player, having not played club football since a stint with Dehli Dynamos in the Indian Super League in 2016.
He spent six seasons with Chelsea after signing from Lyon in 2007, winning the 2012 Champions League, the 2010 Premier League title and three FA Cups.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Arsenal face Chelsea, Everton and Orlando on US summer tour
- ‘All heroes’ – Trapp hails support as Frankfurt win Europa League
- Eintracht Frankfurt beat Rangers on penalties to win Europa League
- ‘Historic’ equal pay deal for US men and women footballers
- Tuchel tells Chelsea to prepare for ‘rebuilding’ to keep up with rivals
- Charlotte vs Chelsea tickets on sale for July 20 clash
- ‘Uncomfortable’ Magath plots against old club Hamburg in play-off
- Senegal probing feared homophobic attack by mob
- Lampard warns Everton against treating Palace clash as ‘all-or-nothing’ game
- ‘Historic’ equal pay deal for US men and women soccer teams