Cagliari (Italy) (AFP) – Sought-after Cagliari midfielder Nicolo Barella has extended his contract with the Serie A side until 2022, the club confirmed on Wednesday.
The 20-year-old, who received his first call-up to the Italian national team last October, had been linked with top Serie A clubs Juventus, Roma and Inter Milan.
But he opted to stay with his hometown club and extended his current deal by two years.
Barella made his Serie A debut aged 17, and has played 57 times for the first team, this season scoring his first goal in a 2-0 win over SPAL.
Playing for Italy’s U20 side he finished runner-up in the 2016 European Championships in Germany, and third in the World Cup in South Korea this year.
Cagliari — sitting five points above the relegation zone — host champions Juventus in Serie A action this weekend.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Guardiola adamant winning Premier League harder than Champions League
- Klopp refuses to dream of stunning Premier League title triumph
- Berkane sink Pirates on penalties to maintain Moroccan dominance
- Ecuador World Cup spot at risk after potential ineligible player
- Real Madrid look to Liverpool after goalless draw with Real Betis
- McKennie back in US squad for June friendlies, Nations League
- FIFA to announce 2026 World Cup host cities in June
- Rangers seek Scottish Cup silver lining after Europa pain
- Rangnick to meet Ten Hag as Man Utd seek Europa League salvation
- EPL commentators on NBC: May 22