Berlin (AFP) – Experienced German international striker Mario Gomez is to move to Stuttgart from Wolfsburg, rejoining the team he left eight years ago.
Gomez, 32, came through the Stuttgart youth system and won the 2007 Bundesliga title with the club.
“I am very happy to return home, to the place where it all began,” he said.
The transfer fee was around three million euros ($3.5 million), according to German sports agency SID.
Gomez has scored 151 Bundesliga goals and has played 71 times for Germany, scoring 31 goals.
“With Mario Gomez, we will have a scorer of the highest quality,” Stuttgart’s sporting director Michael Reschke said.
Germany coach Joachim Loew left Gomez out of his 2014 World Cup squad, but recalled him for Euro 2016.
Gomez abruptly left Besiktas in 2016 after the coup attempt against Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and joined the Volkswagen-backed Wolfsburg side.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Ronaldo’s power play puts pressure on Ten Hag
- Galtier appointed PSG coach on two-year deal: sources
- Veteran Quagliarella extends Samp stay to 2023
- Marseille name Croat Igor Tudor as new coach
- PSG tipped to finalise appointment of Galtier as coach
- Barcelona seal double swoop for Kessie, Christensen
- Work to be completed well before World Cup: organisers
- Switzerland to Salford: Four days of groundhopping across Europe
- Phillips makes ‘dream’ move from Leeds to Man City
- Man Utd agree deal to sign Eriksen: reports