Berlin (AFP) – New coach Peter Stoeger led Borussia Dortmund to their first victory in 10 games on Tuesday, as his side picked up a hard-fought 2-0 win away to Mainz.
It was victory at the first attempt for Stoeger, who replaced Peter Bosz as head coach of the struggling side on Sunday.
A disciplined defensive performance saw Dortmund battle to victory and pick up their first clean sheet in the Bundesliga since September.
Having struggled in the first half, Dortmund took the lead on 55 minutes. Shinji Kagawa’s free-kick was knocked on to the post, before Sokratis Papastathopoulos lashed the ball in on the rebound.
Kagawa doubled the lead two minutes from time, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang holding the ball up on the counter-attack before setting up the Japanese international.
The win saw Dortmund jump back into the top four after Borussia Moenchengladbach went down 1-0 away at Freiburg.
Nils Petersen scored the winner for Freiburg from 12 yards in the 20th minute after the video assistant referee intervened to give the home side a penalty.
Gladbach’s defeat allowed Eintracht Frankfurt to leapfrog over them into fifth place as they came from behind to win 2-1 away to Hamburg.
Kyriakos Papadopoulos headed in an early opener for Hamburg, but Frankfurt quickly rallied. A ferocious shot from Marius Wolf levelled the scores before Mijat Gacinovic put Frankfurt ahead midway through the first half.
The home side found the net in the second half, but the offside flag denied Hamburg the equaliser and Dennis Diekmeier a first goal in 197 Bundesliga appearances.
Earlier, second-place RB Leipzig also dropped points, as they were held to a 1-1 draw away to Wolfsburg.
Marcel Halstenberg’s second-half equaliser saved a point for Leipzig after Paul Verhaegh had put Wolfsburg ahead from the penalty spot early on.
Leipzig also ended the game with 10 men as Dayot Upamecano was shown a second yellow card at the death for a foul on Victor Osimhen.
Second-place Leipzig trail leaders Bayern Munich by seven points and have won just one of their last five league matches.
Bayern entertain bottom club Cologne, who are still to win a game in the Bundesliga this season, on Wednesday as third-placed Schalke host Augsburg.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Bale confirms MLS move to Los Angeles FC
- Bale heading to MLS with LAFC move: reports
- Where to find Austin FC vs. FC Dallas on US TV
- Nominate best soccer coverage across video, audio & written word
- Forest sign Nigeria striker Awoniyi from Union Berlin
- Where to find River Plate vs. Lanús on US TV
- Where to find USWNT vs. Colombia on US TV
- World Cup tickets on sale and in high demand
- Euro hosts England thrash reigning champions Netherlands in friendly
- Man City agree deal for Leeds midfielder Phillips: reports