London (AFP) – Chelsea manager Antonio Conte has been charged with misconduct by England’s governing Football Association following his dismissal against Swansea City on Wednesday.
The Italian was ordered off the touchline by referee Neil Swarbrick near the end of the first half of Chelsea’s 1-0 win in the Premier League after complaining angrily about the award of a Swansea goal-kick.
Conte later apologised to Swarbrick and fourth official Lee Mason, who was patrolling the technical areas, saying: “It’s right to apologise for what happened during the game. I apologised to both of them.
“In the first half I saw Swansea was wasting time. I said this a few times to the fourth official.
“I didn’t see anything change. I was frustrated with this situation.”
Conte added: “I tried to tell him again. Then the referee took this decision. For sure I made a mistake. I was frustrated. I was a bit animated. For this reason the fourth official lost his patience.
“The fault is mine, not the fourth official.”
But Conte’s post-match contrition did not stop the FA taking action Thursday.
Wednesday’s incident at Stamford Bridge was the first time Conte has been dismissed in English football and he could now be fined or even given a touchline ban.
Conte has until 6:00pm local time (1800 GMT) on Tuesday to respond to the FA charge.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Where to find Vélez Sársfield vs. River Plate on US TV
- Lukaku ‘very happy’ as he arrives in Milan ahead of Inter return
- Iniesta’s Vissel fire manager after less than three months
- UEFA do not lack ambition for women’s Euro, says Kessler
- Are World Cup tickets available for Qatar 2022?
- Minamino leaves Liverpool for Ligue 1 club Monaco
- Netherlands looks to snap World Cup dud at Qatar 2022
- Lukaku expected in Milan ‘this evening’ ahead of Inter return: CEO
- French minister apologises for Champions League chaos
- Where to find Corinthians vs. Boca Juniors on US TV