Madrid (AFP) – Dani Carvajal could be banned for the Real Madrid’s Champions League last 16 first leg after UEFA opened disciplinary proceedings against the right-back for “receiving a yellow card on purpose” during Tuesday’s 6-0 rout of APOEL Nicosia.
The Spanish international picked up his third booking of the group stage, to trigger an automatic one-match ban, for time wasting in the 90th minute in Cyprus.
However, he will be hit with an extra game ban if found guilty of breaking article 15 of UEFA’s disciplinary regulations when his case is heard on December 7.
Madrid have already secured their place in the last 16 behind Tottenham Hotspur in Group H with nothing riding on their final group game at home to Borussia Dortmund on December 6.
It is not the first time Madrid have been reprimanded by UEFA for provoking suspensions in the Champions League.
In 2010 Xabi Alonso and Sergio Ramos were charged for getting sent off in the final stages of a 4-0 win at Ajax to miss a meaningless match against Auxerre.
On that occasion the pair escaped an extra ban but were fined 20,000 euros each and coach Jose Mourinho was handed a two-match suspended ban for orchestrating their dismissals.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Barcelona seal double swoop for Kessie, Christensen
- Work to be completed well before World Cup: organisers
- Switzerland to Salford: Four days of groundhopping across Europe
- Phillips makes ‘dream’ move from Leeds to Man City
- Man Utd agree deal to sign Eriksen: reports
- Ronaldo misses Man Utd training for ‘family reasons’: reports
- Fulham sign Palhinha from Sporting Lisbon
- Jesus wants to emulate boyhood hero Henry after sealing Arsenal move
- Manchester City seal swoop for Leeds midfielder Kalvin Phillips
- Arsenal sign Gabriel Jesus from Man City