Lausanne (AFP) – The Court for Arbitration in Sport (CAS) on Thursday rejected an application for urgent provisional measures by Portuguese midfielder Adrien Silva to allow him to play for Leicester City.
The court could still rule in the player’s favour, but did not agree to allow the English Football Association to register him while it contemplates FIFA’s refusal to approve Silva’s transfer from Portugal.
At the end of summer transfer window, the governing body of world football refused to register Silva’s move to Leicester saying the documentation arrived 14 seconds after the deadline at 1 a.m., in Portugal and the UK, on September 1.
That meant Silva, who is 28, would not be able to play for his new club until the English transfer window opens again on January 1.
In early October, FIFA rejected an appeal through the English Football Association. Leicester decided not to pursue the matter, but Silva lodged an appeal with CAS in Lausanne and also sought a speedy interim order that might allow him to play. That request was turned down on Thursday.
CAS did not say when it would make a final ruling.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Tottenham closing on deal for Everton’s Richarlison – reports
- England’s White eyes Euro glory to cap glorious career
- With royal backing and a Snoop Dogg rap, Malaysia minnows challenge best in Asia
- LAFC ‘perfect for me’ — Chiellini
- Three Boca supporters arrested for racism, Nazi salute in Brazil
- Lukaku completes return to Inter on loan from Chelsea
- German club wins inaugural European refugee cup
- Where to find Orlando City SC vs. Nashville SC on US TV
- Summer transfer market shakes up power dynamic among elite
- Where to find Vélez Sársfield vs. River Plate on US TV