Saint-Étienne (France) (AFP) – Oscar Garcia has quit as coach of French first division side Saint-Etienne after five months at the helm, the club said Wednesday.
The Spanish coach led Saint-Etienne to a strong start to the season but they have won just one of their last seven games and were thrashed 5-0 in the local derby against Lyon on November 5.
Garcia, a 44-year-old former Barcelona player, joined the French side from Red Bull Salzburg to replace Christophe Galtier but reports say he was unhappy with the way the sleeping giants of French football were run.
Garcia’s assistant Alain Ravera and the club’s former captain Julien Sable, currently head of the youth academy, will coach the side while the club looks for a replacement, according to L’Equipe sports daily.
Saint-Etienne have won the French league 10 times and were France’s glamour club of the 1970s but their last title came in 1981.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Lukaku completes return to Inter on loan from Chelsea
- German club wins inaugural European refugee cup
- Where to find Orlando City SC vs. Nashville SC on US TV
- Summer transfer market shakes up power dynamic among elite
- Where to find Vélez Sársfield vs. River Plate on US TV
- Lukaku ‘very happy’ as he arrives in Milan ahead of Inter return
- Iniesta’s Vissel fire manager after less than three months
- UEFA do not lack ambition for women’s Euro, says Kessler
- Are World Cup tickets available for Qatar 2022?
- Minamino leaves Liverpool for Ligue 1 club Monaco