Moscow (AFP) – Manchester City forward Sergio Aguero was rushed to a local hospital in Krasnodar after he fainted in Argentina’s dressing room during half-time of Tuesday’s friendly with Nigeria, the Argentine Football Association (AFA) confirmed.
“Aguero suffered a lypothymia (fainting without loss of consciousness), which is why he was transferred to hospital for routine tests as a precaution,” the AFA said in a statement.
Aguero, who scored the winner in Argentina’s 1-0 victory over Russia on Saturday, netted his team’s second goal against Nigeria in the 36th minute before he was replaced at the break after suddenly feeling ill.
He was taken by team doctor Donato Villani to a clinic in Krasnodar.
“He felt bad twice, and with the medical history he has, since he was operated on when he was 15, we wanted to be sure it was nothing,” said Villani, referencing a previous heart problem.
“We took him to hospital to make sure everything was normal, we prefer to wait to be sure.”
Aguero, Manchester City’s record goalscorer, had a health scare less than two months ago when he suffered a broken rib in a car accident in Amsterdam.
Nigeria battled back from two goals down to beat Argentina 4-2 in Tuesday’s game.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Frenkie de Jong not for sale, says Barca chief
- Putellas loss strikes blow to Spain’s hopes of Euro 2022 breakthrough
- Why soccer needs better referees, not more technology
- Where to find England vs. Austria on US TV
- Hegerberg’s return for Norway sprinkles stardust on Euro 2022
- England aim to launch women’s Euro 2022 in style
- Spain star Putellas to miss Euro 2022 with knee injury
- Fantasy Premier League is live; Join our private league for 2022/23
- Euro ‘pressure a privilege’ for England captain Williamson
- Tudor promises Marseille fans he will deliver crowd-pleasing football