Athens (AFP) – Greek media reported Tuesday that Olympiakos owner Vangelis Marinakis is among 28 people who are to be brought to trial for corruption in Greek football.
The Athens News Agency, quoting reliable sources, said the Athens Court of Appeals will officially announce a referral order on Wednesday, ending an ongoing investigation into match-fixing in top Greek leagues.
“We are serious and will only give our position when we have something official. One thing is certain is that Marinakis will continue to help Olympiakos grow against the dreams of those who set up and executed plans and schemes against him and against the biggest team on earth,” Olympiakos communications director Kostas Karapapas wrote on his Facebook page.
Marinakis, former Greek football federation president Giorgos Sarris, and an ex-legal advisor have been accused of forming a criminal organisation and manipulating results of matches, according to the media.
Others facing various charges include former federation members, ex-referees, the owners of Super League clubs Levadiakos and Atromitos, as well as former coaches and players.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Manchester United 2022/23 shirts leaked ahead of new season
- Senegal’s president supports Gueye after homophobia accusations
- Roofe gives Rangers cover for Europa League final
- Lucky trousers, big dreams as Glasner leads Frankfurt to Europa League final
- Hamburg relishing play-off bid to return to Bundesliga
- Houghton picked in provisional England squad for women’s Euros
- Sebastian Hoeness sacked by Hoffenheim
- Ranking World Cup 2022 stadiums from best to worst
- Brazilian football clubs open doors to foreign investors
- Where to find Southampton vs. Liverpool on US TV