Budapest (AFP) – Hungary’s most popular club Ferencvaros was hit Tuesday with a fine and an order to close part of its stadium after a fan was stabbed in the country’s first ever incident of football-related knife violence.
Budapest-based Ferencvaros must pay a 3 million forints fine (9,600 euros, $11,000) and close four stadium sectors occupied by “ultra” fans for the next three home games, said the Hungarian Football Association in a statement.
The sanction follows a clash between two groups of Ferencvaros ultras at a home game Saturday against Debreceni VSC.
In the first ever stabbing case inside a Hungarian stadium two fans were hospitalised with serious injuries, one with knife wounds, the other with skull fractures, according to police.
The club’s security manager said the brawl involved some 50 people and was the first case of violence inside its new stadium which opened three years ago.
Thousands of Ferencvaros ultras had boycotted attending the new stadium in protest at security measures including turnstile hand scanners, but agreed with club management last month to end the boycott.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Where to find Southampton vs. Liverpool on US TV
- Where to find Nottingham Forest vs. Sheffield United on US TV
- Legacy on the line for Rangers in Europa League final
- Rangers and Frankfurt roll back the years for retro Europa League final
- Klopp confident Salah, Van Dijk fit for Champions League final
- Newcastle blow up Arsenal’s Champions League dream
- Clint Dempsey joins FOX Sports for World Cup 2022 coverage
- Newcastle blow up Arsenal’s Champions League dreams
- Chiellini says goodbye to Juve fans as last-gasp Lazio make Europa League
- Blackpool’s Daniels ends 32-year wait for gay UK male footballer to come out