Lima (AFP) – Peru’s hopes of reaching the World Cup suffered a setback Friday when striker Paolo Guerrero was banned for 30 days for returning an “abnormal result” from a drugs test, ruling him out of his country’s play-off against New Zealand.
The Peruvian football federation (FPF) said that the suspension had been ordered by world governing body FIFA.
The 33-year-old Guerrero will now miss Peru’s two-legged inter-continental play-off with New Zealand on November 11 and 15 with the winners booking a place in the 2018 finals in Russia.
“The president of FIFA’s disciplinary commission has informed us of a suspension of 30 days for our international Paolo Guerrero,” the FPF said in a statement.
Media reports in Peru and Brazil, where Guerrero plays for Flamengo, said that the test took place after a World Cup 0-0 qualifying draw against Argentina on October 5.
“What exists now is an abnormal test for a stimulant substance and in this case it is not considered a positive result,” Fernando Solera, the head of the anti-doping committee at the Brazilian football federation, told SportTV before the suspension.
“For the moment, Guerrero is not considered as doped.”
“We cannot talk about the substance in question — the player has the right to defend himself and demonstrate what this substance is,” Solera added to ESPN Brazil.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Inzaghi conquers Inter Milan despite title disappointment
- Ivan Perisic’s Inter future in doubt after stunning season
- Fuelled by Premier League dynasty, Man City crave Champions League legacy
- Barcelona finish with defeat by Villarreal, Granada go down
- Man City win Premier League title after epic fightback
- AC Milan back on top after snatching title from Inter
- Rangnick relieved to secure Europa League spot for Man Utd
- Marsch hails Leeds players’ character after escaping the drop
- What are the groups for World Cup 2022?
- Vieira calls for ‘safety at work’ after pitch invasion incidents