Milan (AFP) – AC Milan captain Leonardo Bonucci has been given a two-game ban for elbowing and will miss their clash against his former club Juventus, the Lega Serie A confirmed on Monday.
The Italian international defender saw red for elbowing Genoa’s Aleandro Rosi after consultation with the video assistant referee during Sunday’s goalless draw.
The Lega Serie A found Bonucci guilty of “grave unsporting conduct” when he “hit the opposing player in the face with an elbow, causing physical damage”.
And the 30-year-old will miss the midweek trip to Chievo, but also the clash against Juventus at San Siro next weekend.
Bonucci’s mental coach Alberto Ferrarini revealed earlier Monday that the defender had “hit rock bottom with his red card”.
“All the attention he received from his move to Milan was beautiful, but it didn’t do him any good,” Ferrarini told Radio 24.
“With his red card yesterday, he hit bottom, but now I’m convinced that there’ll be a rebirth, as if one chapter was closed to open another. He’s hungry about coming back stronger than before.”
Juventus striker Mario Mandzukic has been given a one-match ban for his two yellow cards against Udinese.
Napoli were fined 15,000 euros ($17,000) after fans threw flares at Inter Milan supporters in their 0-0 draw, while Inter were fined a total of 16,000 euros for an offensive banner, anti-Neapolitan chanting and a delay to the second half of that match.
Fiorentina were fined 2,000 euros after fans threw a smoke bomb onto the pitch while SPAL were fined 2,500 euros after a delay in the second half of their match.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Inzaghi conquers Inter Milan despite title disappointment
- Ivan Perisic’s Inter future in doubt after stunning season
- Fuelled by Premier League dynasty, Man City crave Champions League legacy
- Barcelona finish with defeat by Villarreal, Granada go down
- Man City win Premier League title after epic fightback
- AC Milan back on top after snatching title from Inter
- Rangnick relieved to secure Europa League spot for Man Utd
- Marsch hails Leeds players’ character after escaping the drop
- What are the groups for World Cup 2022?
- Vieira calls for ‘safety at work’ after pitch invasion incidents