London (AFP) – Manchester City are not just setting the pace in the Premier League title race but also on Monday beat their rivals to become the first EPL club to reach a million YouTube subscribers.
The club — who lead city rivals Manchester United by five points after last weekend’s matches– celebrated the landmark with a series of videos including one from Ivory Coast icon Yaya Toure.
In it the 34-year-old midfielder unwraps a parcel addressed to him which inside has the framed dedication from YouTube congratulating City on the million mark.
“We’re fiercely passionate about not treating YouTube as just a video hosting platform but a way we can listen to our fans on a daily basis, said Michael Russell, Head of City TV and Social Media, in a statement.
“Reaching one million YouTube subscribers is a huge milestone for us and we will continue to work hard to produce videos that fans can be proud of!”
Tomos Grace, YouTube Head of Sport, for Europe and the Middle East (EMEA) said City’s Youtube channel was as slick as their team was playing on the pitch at the moment.
“Manchester City run an exemplary YouTube channel which combines the creativity of (Kevin) De Bruyne, the execution of (Sergio) Aguero and the intelligence of (Pep) Guardiola,” he said.
“They understand what works on YouTube and have used the platform brilliantly to build a young, engaged and global fan base.”
City’s most famous YouTube videos include players taking on the Harlem Shake (9.2million views), Dude Perfect teaming up with Manchester City Legends in an epic Bubble Football Battle (5.2million views) and Pep’s Taxi with superfan Braydon Bent (2.2million views).
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Brazilian football clubs open doors to foreign investors
- Where to find Southampton vs. Liverpool on US TV
- Where to find Nottingham Forest vs. Sheffield United on US TV
- Legacy on the line for Rangers in Europa League final
- Rangers and Frankfurt roll back the years for retro Europa League final
- Klopp confident Salah, Van Dijk fit for Champions League final
- Newcastle blow up Arsenal’s Champions League dream
- Clint Dempsey joins FOX Sports for World Cup 2022 coverage
- Newcastle blow up Arsenal’s Champions League dreams
- Chiellini says goodbye to Juve fans as last-gasp Lazio make Europa League