Johannesburg (AFP) – Senegal chose Liverpool star Sadio Mane Wednesday for World Cup qualifiers against South Africa next month just eight days after his club said he could be sidelined for six weeks.
The striker was among 25 players named by coach Aliou Cisse for crucial back-to-back fixtures with South Africa.
“Sadio Mane has resumed individual training and will probably resume full training next week,” Cisse told reporters.
A Liverpool statement last Tuesday said Mane “picked up an injury that could keep him out of action for up to six weeks”.
Mane had to be substituted after suffering a hamstring injury during a 2-0 World Cup victory in Cape Verde this month.
Senegal need two points from matches in Polokwane on November 10 and Dakar on November 14 to qualify for the 2018 World Cup in Russia. South Africa will qualify if they win both games.
The Senegalese are seeking a second World Cup appearance after losing to Turkey in the 2002 quarter-finals.
South Africa qualified for the 1998 and 2002 tournaments and were automatic participants in 2010 as the first African nation to host the World Cup.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Guardiola adamant winning Premier League harder than Champions League
- Klopp refuses to dream of stunning Premier League title triumph
- Berkane sink Pirates on penalties to maintain Moroccan dominance
- Ecuador World Cup spot at risk after potential ineligible player
- Real Madrid look to Liverpool after goalless draw with Real Betis
- McKennie back in US squad for June friendlies, Nations League
- FIFA to announce 2026 World Cup host cities in June
- Rangers seek Scottish Cup silver lining after Europa pain
- Rangnick to meet Ten Hag as Man Utd seek Europa League salvation
- EPL commentators on NBC: May 22