Madrid (AFP) – Spain will play 2018 World Cup hosts Russia on November 14 as part of their build-up for next summer’s finals, the Spanish football federation (RFEF) announced Friday.
The RFEF said they had also organised a game against 2014 World Cup quarter-finalists Costa Rica on November 11 in Malaga.
Both Russia and Spain were knocked out in the group stages in Brazil in 2014, while Costa Rica were only denied a shock semi-final place by a penalty shoot-out defeat by the Netherlands.
But 2010 World Cup winners Spain won Group G of European qualifying ahead of Italy to make the finals, and the friendly in St Petersburg is at the Kretovsky Stadium, which will host a semi-final and the third-place play-off next year.
Costa Rica also booked a place at the World Cup by finishing second to Mexico in CONCACAF qualifying.
Spain are unbeaten in the 14 games overseen by new coach Julen Lopetegui.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Brazilian football clubs open doors to foreign investors
- Where to find Southampton vs. Liverpool on US TV
- Where to find Nottingham Forest vs. Sheffield United on US TV
- Legacy on the line for Rangers in Europa League final
- Rangers and Frankfurt roll back the years for retro Europa League final
- Klopp confident Salah, Van Dijk fit for Champions League final
- Newcastle blow up Arsenal’s Champions League dream
- Clint Dempsey joins FOX Sports for World Cup 2022 coverage
- Newcastle blow up Arsenal’s Champions League dreams
- Chiellini says goodbye to Juve fans as last-gasp Lazio make Europa League