Sofia (AFP) – Former Barcelona favourite Hristo Stoichkov on Thursday backed the independence referendum in Catalonia and denounced the violence that marred the banned vote.
“The leaders of Catalonia and the people who voted decided that the moment has come to separate and I will back them,” Stoichkov, a Bulgarian, told his country’s public broadcaster BNT.
“This is only natural. I’ve lived there for 27 years. I know what they have given me and what I have given them.”
Renowned for his sharp tongue, 51-year-old Stoichkov accused the Spanish government of being responsible for the violent clashes that erupted during Sunday’s poll in the wealthy northeastern region.
Images of Spanish police beating Catalans taking part in the vote sparked international concern.
“The world saw it. This is inadmissible,” Stoichkov said, adding that he felt “insulted and indignant”.
“I don’t care about Spain, I care about the people of Catalonia. Nobody wants blood and beatings,” he fumed.
The left-footed striker joined Barca in 1990 and scored a total of 162 goals in 336 games during an eight-year stay, which earned him a spot on Barcelona’s Dream Team.
Barcelona captain Gerard Pique has been the most prominent critic in the team of Spain’s handling of the crisis, while the club’s former manager and current Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola is an outspoken supporter of Catalan independence.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Kompany ‘parts ways’ with Belgium’s Anderlecht
- FOX & fuboTV’s UEFA Nations League plans raise concerns
- Robertson urges Scotland to put sentiment aside in Ukraine play-off
- Klopp confident Thiago will be fit for Champions League final
- Salah staying at Liverpool ‘for sure’ next season as Mane hints at exit
- Tirana inhabitants brace for Conference League final after clashes
- Salah staying at Liverpool ‘for sure’ next season
- Greatest soccer film ever made? Victory deserves a consideration
- Boehly’s Chelsea takeover puts US tycoon in spotlight
- Stade de France gets new pitch for Champions League final