Lausanne (AFP) – The Equatorial Guinea women’s team were disqualified from next year’s Women Africa Cup of Nations and the 2019 World Cup by FIFA on Thursday for fielding 10 ineligible players.
All 10 of the ineligible players were born in Brazil, although the majority have been playing for Equatorial Guinea since the 2011 World Cup.
The Africa Cup of Nations in Ghana next November doubles up as qualifying for the World Cup in France the following year.
The ineligible players featured for the oil-rich African country during qualifying for the 2016 Olympics, while two other players provided “forged and falsified” documents to claim nationality, FIFA said in a statement.
The two players, Muriel Linda Mendoua Abessolo and Francisca Angue Ondo Asangono, have been banned for 10 matches, and the Equatorial Guinea Football Association has been fined 100,000 Swiss francs ($102,165).
It is not the first time Equatorial Guinea’s women’s team has been punished for fielding ineligible players. They were kicked out of qualifying for the 2012 London Olympics for the same offence.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Liverpool assess Salah, Van Dijk ahead of Southampton clash
- African players in Europe: Mane has last laugh on Mendy
- Anti-homophobia group demands PSG explain Gueye absence
- Where to find Newcastle vs. Arsenal on US TV
- Frankfurt ready to rock Rangers in Seville under Borre’s influence
- Late goal spree takes Moroccan club Berkane to CAF Cup final
- Brentford duo report racist abuse of family at Everton
- Mbappe says decision ‘almost’ made over PSG future
- Martinez brace ensures Inter take title race to final week
- Suarez bids Atletico farewell as Sevilla qualify for Champions League