Cairo (AFP) – An Egyptian court jailed two people for life on Sunday and 12 to between two and 10 years over violence that led to a deadly football stadium stampede in Cairo.
At least 19 people died in the disaster after police fired tear gas at fans who tried to push their way into the stadium in February 2015.
The defendants faced charges including murder, thuggery and vandalism, and were accused of clashing with police, leading to the stampede.
Two received life sentences, three were given 10 years, five got seven years, three were jailed for three years each and one received a two-year sentence.
Two people were acquitted.
All of the accused were in court for the verdict which can still be appealed.
The fixture between Cairo teams Zamalek and ENPPI was one of the first premier league games open to the public since a ban on fans after more than 70 people died in stadium riots in Port Said in 2012.
The government reinstated the ban after the 2015 stadium deaths in the capital.
Egypt’s hard core football fans, known as Ultras, have often clashed with police, including in political unrest that toppled two presidents.
The prosecution accused the Islamist Muslim Brotherhood, designated a “terrorist group” in 2013, of financing Zamalek supporters called Ultras White Knights to “spread chaos and suspend (football) activity”.
The government cracked down on supporters of Islamist president Mohamed Morsi, who was ousted by the army in July, 2013.
Initially, the crackdown mainly targeted Morsi’s Muslim Brotherhood, but later expanded to include other members of the opposition.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Inzaghi conquers Inter Milan despite title disappointment
- Ivan Perisic’s Inter future in doubt after stunning season
- Fuelled by Premier League dynasty, Man City crave Champions League legacy
- Barcelona finish with defeat by Villarreal, Granada go down
- Man City win Premier League title after epic fightback
- AC Milan back on top after snatching title from Inter
- Rangnick relieved to secure Europa League spot for Man Utd
- Marsch hails Leeds players’ character after escaping the drop
- What are the groups for World Cup 2022?
- Vieira calls for ‘safety at work’ after pitch invasion incidents