London (AFP) – Manchester City midfielder Ilkay Gundogan received an injury boost on Thursday as tests showed he hasn’t suffered serious damage to his left knee.
Gundogan limped off after an hour of City’s League Cup win at West Bromwich Albion on Wednesday following a strong challenge from Claudio Yacob.
The Germany international was making his first start since last December after recovering from surgery on his right knee and it was feared he had sustained another major problem.
But Gundogan was examined by City’s medical staff on Thursday and no significant damage was revealed.
The problem was diagnosed as a sprain and the 26-year-old could soon be back in action.
“It is too early at this stage to give an exact time-frame on his absence but he is expected to be back on the training field in the coming days,” a statement on City’s website read.
Gundogan was in good spirits after the fitness update and he tweeted: “Hi all, thank you for all your messages!
“I’m happy to tell you my injury is nothing serious and I hope to be back soon on the pitch!”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Sling is your ticket to the best of PSG starring Messi, Neymar and Mbappe
- FIFA officially advances World Cup by a day for Qatar
- Telemundo World Cup studio talent for Qatar announced
- How Paramount+ can improve its soccer streaming
- Sterling could not waste peak years at Man City on the bench
- Africa Super League: What we know and don’t know
- Youri Tielemans to Arsenal more likely with Lokonga loan
- Frankfurt’s Kostic arrives in Turin for Juventus medical
- Elliott signs new long-term Liverpool deal
- Vela, Ruidiaz lift MLS All-Stars to 2-1 win over Liga MX