Madrid (AFP) – Gareth Bale responded in style to his critics with a fine finish as Real Madrid got back to winning ways with a 3-1 win at Real Sociedad on Sunday.
Borja Mayoral rewarded a bright start by Real with his first Madrid goal before Sociedad’s Kevin Rodrigues scored at both ends to give the visitors a 2-1 half-time lead.
And Bale secured the three points as he sped past Rodrigues and dinked the ball over Geronimo Rulli for just his second goal of the season on the hour mark.
Victory moves the European champions up to fourth and within four points of leaders Barcelona.
Without the suspended Cristiano Ronaldo, as he completed a five-game ban, and injured Karim Benzema, Zinedine Zidane handed 20-year-old Mayoral a shock start up front.
And the Frenchman’s faith was rewarded inside 20 minutes when Mayoral swept home a loose ball with a classy finish from close range.
Mayoral’s strike meant Madrid have now matched a world record of scoring in 73 consecutive games set by Pele’s Santos in the 1960s.
However, the visitors’ joy lasted just nine minutes as Rodrigues levelled thanks to a blunder from Keylor Navas.
Rodrigues fired Alvaro Odriozola’s cross towards goal on the volley, but the Real ‘keeper should have made a comfortable stop rather than letting the ball slip under his grasp.
The match was then held up as a cameraman had to be stretchered off with his leg heavily strapped as he was injured from fans surging forward from a temporary stand behind the goal Sociedad were defending.
Once the game got back underway, a crazy 60 seconds for Rodrigues swung the match back in Madrid’s favour.
The left-back was inches away from bagging a second when his looping effort came back off the bar.
However, Real broke straight up the other end and the unfortunate Rodrigues turned Mayoral’s cross into his own net.
Real could even have extended their lead before the break as Luka Modric stung the palms of Rulli and Marco Asensio curled just wide.
Bale had received stinging criticism from the Spanish press and Madrid fans for his underwhelming displays in Ronaldo’s absence in recent weeks as Real dropped points at home to Valencia and Levante.
However, he scored for the fifth straight match at Anoeta as his pace took him beyond the Sociedad defence before coolly chipping over the advancing Rulli.
Earlier, Alaves sacked Argentine coach Luis Zubeldia after just four games in charge as they slipped to the bottom of La Liga with a 3-0 defeat at home to Villarreal.
Zubeldia failed to muster a point or even a solitary goal in his brief stint in charge with defeats to Leganes, Barcelona and Celta Vigo also sealing his fate.
By contrast, Sevilla’s impressive start to the season continued with victory on the road at Girona to move up to second.
Luis Muriel’s first goal for the club since completing a 20 million euro ($24 million) move from Sampdoria was enough for a 1-0 win.
And former Chelsea striker Loic Remy also bagged his first goal for Las Palmas to secure a 1-0 win over Athletic Bilbao.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Plea penalty sends Gladbach top in Germany
- Tete double helps Lyon ease past Troyes
- Man Utd agree to sign Real Madrid midfielder Casemiro
- Chelsea boss Tuchel given one-game ban after Spurs red card
- Man Utd icon Ferguson lauds Giggs’ temperament’ at assault trial
- EPL commentators on NBC: Aug. 20 to 22
- CBS renews UEFA Champions League rights through 2029/30
- Ten Hag demands attitude change from Man Utd
- Dortmund chairman rules out move for Cristiano Ronaldo
- Injured Kante sidelined for several weeks: Tuchel