London (AFP) – European football’s governing body UEFA has opened disciplinary proceedings against Celtic following a pitch invasion during their Champions League tie against Paris Saint-Germain.
A supporter raced onto the Parkhead pitch late in the first half on Tuesday with the hosts 3-0 down and darted towards 18-year-old superstar Kylian Mbappe.
He aimed a fresh-air kick at the former Monaco striker but failed to make contact before being whisked away by stewards.
Celtic have been charged with a count of “field invasion” and will have their case heard by the UEFA Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body on October 19, a UEFA statement said.
Celtic have already been fined 11 times in less than six years over fan behaviour issues ranging from pro-IRA chants to fireworks, crowd disturbances and illicit banners.
PSG have also been charged after their fans were accused of breaking seats at Celtic Park and will have their matter addressed at the same hearing as Celtic.
Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers expressed his frustration with Tuesday night’s incident and said the Parkhead club would take its own action.
“The crowd reaction said it all. It is disappointing at any ground that a supporter gets on to the pitch,” he said.
“I am sure the club will deal with that. It shouldn’t be anything that we should see on a football field. The crowd in their reaction told you everything you need to know.”
Police said they made seven arrests at Celtic Park, including a 21-year-old man accused of an alleged pitch incursion and assault.
Four men are expected to appear in court later Wednesday.
UEFA has also opened proceedings against Basel after fans set off fireworks at Old Trafford on Tuesday. The Swiss club lost 3-0 to Manchester United.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Where to find Osasuna vs. Sevilla on US TV
- Tottenham’s Premier League title credentials face Chelsea test
- Removing ‘camouflage,’ Brazil football referee comes out
- Wolfsburg’s Kovac returns to Bayern Munich with a point to prove
- Berlusconi’s Monza aiming high ahead of debut Serie A campaign
- Sling is your ticket to the best of PSG starring Messi, Neymar and Mbappe
- FIFA officially advances World Cup by a day for Qatar
- Telemundo World Cup studio talent for Qatar announced
- How Paramount+ can improve its soccer streaming
- Sterling could not waste peak years at Man City on the bench