Shanghai (AFP) – Uli Stielike has been tasked with saving Tianjin Teda from relegation out of the Chinese Super League (CSL), three months after the German was axed as coach of South Korea.
Underlining the challenge facing the 62-year-old, Tianjin lost 3-1 at second-placed Shanghai SIPG on Saturday and sit one place off the bottom of the CSL with seven games left.
Fellow German coaches Felix Magath and Roger Schmidt are already in the CSL, at Shandong Luneng and Beijing Guoan respectively.
“We look forward under Mr. Stielike’s leadership to being fearless and brave and not giving up, and completing the mission of staying in the league,” Tianjin said in a statement announcing his appointment at the weekend.
“He has rich coaching experience and is good at motivating the team. He also has a certain understanding of Asian culture.”
Stielike was in charge of South Korea from 2014 until his sacking in June following a shock defeat to Qatar that left their World Cup qualification hopes hanging in the balance.
South Korea appointed Shin Tae-Yong to replace him and last week they sealed a spot at Russia 2018.
Stielike, a former Real Madrid midfielder, takes over at Tianjin from South Korean Lee Lim-Saeng, who stepped down last month after just weeks in the job.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Ex-Man Utd star Giggs admits to lifelong infidelity in court testimony
- Our 6 way-too-early reactions to 2022/23 Premier League season
- Van Dijk says Nunez must ‘control himself’ after Liverpool red card
- Man City complete signing of Spanish defender Gomez
- International efforts needed to understand sport’s dementia risk: report
- ‘Very special’: English teenager Bynoe-Gittens extends Dortmund deal
- Where to find Rangers vs. PSV Eindhoven on US TV
- Where to find LAFC vs. DC United on US TV
- Where to find PSG vs. Manchester United on US TV
- Where to find Bayern Munich vs. Barcelona on US TV