Abuja (AFP) – Nigerian international goalkeeper Carl Ikeme felt able to crack a joke on transfer deadline day in England despite lying in hospital being treated for acute leukaemia.
The 31-year-old — who plays for second tier English side Wolverhampton Wanderers — tweeted a picture of himself from hospital where he has been receiving treatment since last month.
“BREAKING NEWS. Ikeme transfers from one room to another! Medical under way,” tweeted Ikeme, who affixed a picture of himself lying back on his bed with his thumb raised.
The England-born goalkeeper — capped 10 times — returned “abnormal blood tests” during pre-season testing and further checks confirmed the diagnosis that he had leukaemia.
Wolves have retained Ikeme in their number one shirt this season and fans, players and oppositions are paying tribute to him at regular intervals.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Will Mbappe and Neymar flourish together this season for PSG?
- Qatar buses feel the World Cup heat in tournament test
- Scamacca opens West Ham account in Conference League win
- Mbappé and Neymar feud adds heat to PSG vs Lille clash
- Conte not expecting touchline ban after Tuchel clash
- Mendy rape accuser details alleged attack in locked room at his mansion
- Ben Brereton Díaz rumors signal ambitious signings from Nice
- Chelsea probe alleged racist abuse against Spurs forward Son
- Kobe forget domestic woes to advance in Asian Champions League
- World Cup ticket sales approach 2.5 million, organisers say