Liverpool (AFP) – Liverpool goalkeeper Simon Mignolet was dropped for his side’s Premier League clash with title rivals Arsenal at Anfield on Sunday.
German Loris Karius came in between the posts and Mignolet was not even named on the bench by manager Jurgen Klopp.
The 29-year-old Belgium international had started Liverpool’s four previous games, conceding six goals.
“Simon is rested, that is all,” Klopp told BBC Radio 5 Live.
“He won the race and was really strong for us, but we need the other two boys (Karius and Danny Ward) also.
“For a goalkeeper it’s a different intensity. He is in the stadium, we had no argument and I told him a rest makes sense.”
Karius, 24, took over from Mignolet at the start of last season after arriving from Mainz, but lost his place to the former Sunderland goalkeeper in December after some shaky performances.
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, meanwhile, named Alexis Sanchez in his starting XI for the first time this season after the Chilean forward overcame an abdominal strain.
Star signing Alexandre Lacazette dropped to the bench, with Danny Welbeck starting up front.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Africa Super League: What we know and don’t know
- Youri Tielemans to Arsenal more likely with Lokonga loan
- Frankfurt’s Kostic arrives in Turin for Juventus medical
- Elliott signs new long-term Liverpool deal
- Vela, Ruidiaz lift MLS All-Stars to 2-1 win over Liga MX
- Six new faces to watch in Serie A
- Barcelona sell off assets to make signings in attempt to restore glory days
- Germany 2022 World Cup Kits leaked
- Rivals jostle for Milan’s Serie A crown
- Brazil against replaying abandoned Argentina World Cup qualifier