On the heels of NBC’s Premier League Pass and ESPN announcing its own paid streaming service, Turner Sports will launch a new, online paid-subscription service beginning in the summer of 2018 to broadcast the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League rights that it owns.
The net result to soccer fans is that more than 80% of the UEFA Champions League and Europa Leagues games will only be available via a paid subscription model
Turner’s rights deal for the Champions League and Europa League begins in August, 2018 and runs through 2021.
Under Turner’s plans, approximately 60 of the 340 Champions League each season will air on truTV, as we predicted in March. That includes, for the Champions League, two matches on Tuesdays and Wednesdays (at 1pm and 3pm ET each Tues/Weds). Then once the competitions advance to the knockout stages in February, Turner will televise two matches a week on truTV, one each on Tuesday and Wednesday.
The semi-finals and finals of the Champions League will air on TNT or TBS. The final of the Europa League will air on TNT or TBS.
That means that the other 280 matches will not air on TV and soccer fans will need to, as we predicted in May, subscribe to a paid-subscription streaming service from Turner Sports.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ