NBCSN and Telemundo combined their efforts Sunday to attract more than 1 million viewers for Manchester United’s opening game of the 2017/18 season against West Ham United.
The match from Old Trafford in England averaged 680,000 viewers on NBCSN for the game that was televised live from 11am-1pm ET on Sunday, August 13. The game was also broadcast in Spanish-language by Telemundo, which averaged 348,000 viewers. This year’s Telemundo opener outperformed last year’s opener by +81% for the August 28, 2016 game featuring Manchester City against West Ham United (192,000 viewers).
Combined, the viewing total of 1,028,000 was the most-watched soccer game during the entire weekend on US television.
Both NBC Sports and Telemundo had their broadcast crews in Manchester to bring the game live to viewers in the United States. Telemundo’s commentary team featured Andres Cantor and Manuel Sol, while NBCSN had Arlo White and Robbie Mustoe in action.
Meanwhile, NBC Sports’ broadcast of the Brighton-Manchester City game delivered 915,000 viewers across the over-the-NBC network, which — combined with the 75,000 viewers who watched the game on Universo — equaled a total of 990,000 viewers for the Brighton versus Manchester City match.
Compared to the first over-the-air broadcast of last season, NBC Sports had 245,000 fewer viewers than the Hull City versus Manchester United game played August 27, 2016 during the same timeslot (12:30-2:30pm ET on a Saturday).
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family