Sao Paulo (AFP) – Brazilian football star Neymar is willing to pay a fine of $2.5 million to settle tax evasion allegations in his country, his lawyer said Friday.
The 25-year-old wants to leave the fight with Brazilian authorities behind him as he prepares for a new professional life with Paris Saint-Germain after his record $261 million (222 million euro) transfer buyout from FC Barcelona, Neymar’s lawyer Marcos Neder told a press conference.
“This process has stretched on for more than three years and our goal is to move ahead with the new phase that Neymar has begun,” Neder said.
In September 2015, Brazilian tax authorities seized what was then the equivalent of $55.7 million in Neymar’s assets to cover what they said were unpaid taxes from 2011 to 2013, plus penalties and interest.
The case has been snaking its way through the courts ever since. Neymar has scored some victories such as having the amount of seized assets reduced.
However it is now up to tax authorities to decide whether they accept the amount that Neymar’s defense team has calculated that he owes.
Neymar also faces corruption charges in Spain stemming from his transfer to Barcelona from the Brazilian team Santos in 2013.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Liverpool will not panic buy despite Thiago injury blow, says Klopp
- Surprise date-change overshadows World Cup 100-day countdown
- Qatar’s ground control on alert for World Cup disasters
- Where to find Osasuna vs. Sevilla on US TV
- Tottenham’s Premier League title credentials face Chelsea test
- Removing ‘camouflage,’ Brazil football referee comes out
- Wolfsburg’s Kovac returns to Bayern Munich with a point to prove
- Berlusconi’s Monza aiming high ahead of debut Serie A campaign
- Sling is your ticket to the best of PSG starring Messi, Neymar and Mbappe
- FIFA officially advances World Cup by a day for Qatar