Chivas TV, the official streaming subscription service for fans of CD Guadalajara, has announced a strategic partnership with Playmaker Media (owned by NBC Sports Group and operated by NBC Sports Digital) to enhance the reliability and capabilities of the Mexican club team’s streaming platform.
For soccer fans in the United States, nothing will change. Chivas matches will continue to be televised and streamed by Univision Deportes.
According to a Univision spokeswoman, “Univision Deportes continues to have exclusive rights to all Chivas home games in Liga MX and Copa MX. Our fans can still tune-in to the networks of Univision to watch all their favorite soccer matches, live and on demand.”
The partnership between Chivas and PlayMaker Media will help strengthen the reliability of the Chivas TV platform so soccer fans around the world (outside of the United States and Puerto Rico) can stream games.
If you do live in the United States or Puerto Rico, you’ll be able to enjoy all of the Chivas TV content. But when it comes time for a match to kick off, Chivas TV subscribers in the US will only be able to hear audio commentary of the game while the stream will broadcast live video of the announcers. The live matches will also feature statistics for Chivas fans to follow. Chivas TV, however, will include post-game, video-on-demand highlights for Chivas Liga MX and Copa MX home matches.
In addition, season-long live streaming will also be offered for Chivas’ Under 20 and Under 17 youth development squad games.
For soccer fans in the US, the cost is $6.99/month for the subscription to Chivas TV.
The partnership between Chivas and NBC Sports Digital kicks off on July 19 when Playmaker Media will power the live-streaming and direct-to-consumer support for the friendly between Chivas and Porto.
Playmaker currently provides live streaming capabilities and infrastructure for Telemundo Sports’ long-term FIFA agreement, including the 2015 Women’s World Cup, the 2017 Confederations Cup, and the 2018 FIFA World Cup-Russia. In addition, Playmaker Media provides video support for the International Olympic Committee’s (IOC) global digital Olympic Channel, along with NASCAR’s global, direct-to-consumer NASCAR TrackPass, and USA Swimming Productions, a new communication venture from the USA Swimming National Governing Body.
According to a recent study on football clubs by Euroamericas Sport Marketing Spain, Guadalajara/Chivas is the most popular team in Mexico, with 44.2% of supporters in the country.
The only Liga MX team to exclusively field squads composed entirely of Mexican players, Chivas has constantly emphasized home-grown players and recently won its 12th Mexican league championship. Also in 2017, Chivas captured its fourth Copa MX crown, becoming the first Mexican team in 22 years to claim both the league title and cup championship in the same year.
It’s entirely possible that the partnership could open doors for Chivas and NBC Sports in the future if/when Chivas decides to stream games exclusively to US residents.
At the end of the day, the news is a win for Chivas in Mexico where having PlayMaker Media powering Chivas TV will give them a stronger, more reliable platform.
Chivas TV launched in 2016 as the club’s own channel for live games, interviews, and more.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family