Berlin (AFP) – Veteran Peruvian striker Claudio Pizarro has been released by Werder Bremen, the German Bundesliga side have confirmed.
The 38-year-old made his debut in the German top flight 18 years ago and has had three separate spells at Werder and two stints at Bayern.
“Due to the big competition in attack and the young talent we have, whose development we don’t want to hinder, we decided to not extend Claudio’s contract,” said Werder sporting director Frank Baumann.
Pizarro is Bremen’s all-time top scorer in the Bundesliga with 104 goals. He is also the all-time leading foreign goal-scorer in the Bundesliga.
“It was always a huge honour for me to wear the SV Werder Bremen shirt. The club, the city and the fans will always have a special place in my heart,” said Pizarro, who also had a spell at Chelsea between 2007 and 2009.
“I would have liked to carry on playing for Werder, but I accept the club’s decision.”
He won six Bundesliga titles and five German Cups with Bayern as well as the Cup with Bremen in 2009.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ