Moscow (AFP) – Russian Premier League side Zenit St Petersburg on Thursday appointed Italian Roberto Mancini as manager in their quest to claw their way back after a third place league finish.
“Zenit football club welcomes Roberto Mancini to Saint Petersburg and wishes him success as manager of the white-and-blues,” the club wrote on its website.
Zenit have signed a three-year deal with the 52-year-old coach, who won three consecutive Italian Serie A titles with Inter Milan in 2006-08 and led Manchester City to the English Premier League title in 2012.
The club said the agreement includes the option of an extension for two more years.
No financial details of the deal were disclosed but rumours have swirled in the Russian press that Mancini will pocket around five million euros a year as Zenit manager.
The Saint Petersburg outfit, backed by state-owned gas giant Gazprom, sacked Romanian coach Mircea Lucescu last week after a disappointing third place league finish saw them miss out on Champions League football next season.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Liverpool assess Salah, Van Dijk ahead of Southampton clash
- African players in Europe: Mane has last laugh on Mendy
- Anti-homophobia group demands PSG explain Gueye absence
- Where to find Newcastle vs. Arsenal on US TV
- Frankfurt ready to rock Rangers in Seville under Borre’s influence
- Late goal spree takes Moroccan club Berkane to CAF Cup final
- Brentford duo report racist abuse of family at Everton
- Mbappe says decision ‘almost’ made over PSG future
- Martinez brace ensures Inter take title race to final week
- Suarez bids Atletico farewell as Sevilla qualify for Champions League