Madrid (AFP) – Ernesto Valverde said Wednesday there were clubs chasing him but refused to say if one of them was Barcelona, amid reports he is poised to be appointed head coach at the Camp Nou.
The 53-year-old Spaniard resigned as Athletic Bilbao boss on Tuesday and Spanish media reports he should be named as successor to outgoing Barcelona coach Luis Enrique on Monday.
“I’m not going to deny that I have an agent and obviously there are teams that are interested in me,” said Valverde, who played for Barcelona between 1988 and 1990.
“It is not the first time that I have had offers from big clubs,” he added.
But Valverde said that he had no agreements with any club and not spoken directly to anyone.
“There is someone looking for an apartment for me in Rome, another who is looking for me a school in Barcelona…” he joked of the media reports linking him to a new job.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- ‘Next Messi’ Bojan learned, suffered in itinerant career
- Finalists Orlando Pirates vow to avoid another Moroccan mauling
- Arsenal face Chelsea, Everton and Orlando on US summer tour
- ‘All heroes’ – Trapp hails support as Frankfurt win Europa League
- Eintracht Frankfurt beat Rangers on penalties to win Europa League
- ‘Historic’ equal pay deal for US men and women footballers
- Tuchel tells Chelsea to prepare for ‘rebuilding’ to keep up with rivals
- Charlotte vs Chelsea tickets on sale for July 20 clash
- ‘Uncomfortable’ Magath plots against old club Hamburg in play-off
- Senegal probing feared homophobic attack by mob