London (AFP) – Pescara’s Ghanaian midfielder Sulley Muntari has promised to walk off the pitch again if he has to endure any more racial abuse during a match.
Muntari was sent off last week for leaving the field after claiming he was racially abused during a Serie A game against Cagliari.
The 32-year-old, who was initially booked for dissent, had his suspension overturned, but the former Inter Milan star believes racism is “everywhere and getting worse” and he is determined to take a stand.
“I went through hell and was treated like a criminal,” he told BBC Sport on Monday.
“I went off the field because it wasn’t right for me to be on the field while I have been racially abused.
“If I had this problem today, tomorrow or the next game I would go off again.”
Muntari called on FIFA president Gianni Infantino to do more to clampdown on the evil of racism in football.
“I think he is capable of doing something in a good way to fight racism. I want him to fight racism,” he said.
“I never heard anything like that in England because I think they don’t tolerate it.
“England is the example for the world. If a country doesn’t tolerate it then it means you get rid of it.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Tuchel tells Chelsea to prepare for ‘rebuilding’ to keep up with rivals
- Charlotte vs Chelsea tickets on sale for July 20 clash
- ‘Uncomfortable’ Magath plots against old club Hamburg in play-off
- Senegal probing feared homophobic attack by mob
- Lampard warns Everton against treating Palace clash as ‘all-or-nothing’ game
- ‘Historic’ equal pay deal for US men and women soccer teams
- PSG’s Gueye asked to explain absence after homophobia accusations
- Europa League Final on TV: Rangers vs. Frankfurt details
- Liverpool’s Klopp has ‘no reason’ to talk to Gerrard before title climax
- Where to find Rangers vs. Frankfurt Europa League Final TV