Beijing (AFP) – China Super League club Tianjin Quanjin have denied reports they signed Chelsea striker Diego Costa for a record-breaking 90 million euros ($99 million).
In a statement posted to its Weibo social media account late Thursday, the team said “so far we haven’t communicated with Diego Costa about the transfer matter”.
The comment followed reports by Spanish newspaper Cadena Ser that the Brazil-born Spanish forward had arranged a 30 million euro annual salary as part of the deal.
Coached by Italy’s World Cup champion Fabio Cannavaro, Tianjin has tried to fill its roster with foreign talent in preparation for its move to the Tier One Super League following its triumph in the second-tier China League One.
Armed with a considerable war chest, Tianjin tried to land Borussia Dortmund striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Manchester United icon Wayne Rooney, and has been tied to a 60-million-euro bid for Monaco’s Colombian striker Radamel Falcao and a 50-million-euro approach for France’s Anthony Modeste, who plays for German side FC Cologne.
Instead Tianjin ended up with Belgium midfielder Axel Witsel for 20 million euros, out-of-favour former Brazil wonderkid Pato for 18 million and Junior Moraes on loan from Dynamo Kiev.
The hunt for foreign footballing talent comes as China seeks to raise the national game to a level more befitting of Beijing’s status as a world power.
President Xi Jinping has said that he wants to see the country host and eventually win a World Cup, a tough challenge for a national side that has consistently hovered in the low 70s in the FIFA rankings.
But the pronouncement has seen the country’s top companies and richest entrepreneurs rush to pick up stakes in overseas clubs and buy foreign players to curry favour with the government, as well as fans.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family