Berlin (AFP) – Germany’s head coach Joachim Loew confirmed Thursday that World Cup winner Mario Goetze will not play at June’s Confederations Cup in Russia as he recovers from a metabolism disorder.
“Mario won’t be with us at the Confed Cup,” said Loew at an event in Hamburg.
“He should take the time, which he needs, to be fit and well again for pre-season training for next season.”
Loew revealed Goetze is “responding well” to treatment: “one thing is certain, he will make a full recovery and will be able to play again.”
Goetze scored the winning goal for Germany in the 2014 World Cup final, but has been sidelined since February after his club Dortmund revealed he has an unspecified metabolism disorder.
Loew said it was a relief for the player to know there is a medical reason behind his poor performances this season after returning to Dortmund following an unhappy three-year spell at Bayern.
“It was a relief for him to get to the bottom of the matter and find an important reason for it,” said Loew.
Germany have been drawn with Australia, Cameroon and Chile in Group B at the Confederation Cup, June 17-July 2.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Hrustic, Rogic spearhead Australia squad for crunch World Cup playoff
- Deal Alert: Best streaming deals this Memorial Day Weekend
- Africa beckons for Royal after dramatic draw with Orlando Pirates
- Regret? Skupski prioritises French Open over Champions League ticket
- Klopp urges Liverpool to show Madrid who’s boss in Champions League final
- Ancelotti says Real Madrid can achieve ‘the maximum’ by winning Champions League
- Mancini thanks Chiellini before Italy send-off against Argentina
- How to watch UEFA Nations League on US TV and streaming
- Klopp shrugs off Mane speculation, but concerned over new Paris pitch
- ‘Things change’ – Ceferin warns Europe’s old elite before Champions League final