London (AFP) – Britain’s Sun tabloid said on Friday it had suspended its columnist Kelvin MacKenzie over an article about footballer Ross Barkley that critics branded “racist”.
The article in Britain’s best-selling newspaper was about the 23-year-old England midfielder getting into a fight in a nightclub in Liverpool this week.
MacKenzie compared Barkley, whose grandfather is Nigerian, to a “gorilla at the zoo” and said the only people in Liverpool with his salary were drug dealers.
The article was headlined “Here’s why they go ape at Ross” alongside a photograph of Barkley’s eyes and the eyes of a gorilla.
Liverpool’s mayor Joe Anderson said he had reported the comments to the police and the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO), calling them “racist and offensive”.
The Sun’s publisher News UK said in a statement that MacKenzie “had been suspended with immediate effect”.
“The paper was unaware of Ross Barkley’s heritage and there was never any slur intended,” the statement said.
It added the views expressed by MacKenzie about the people of Liverpool were “wrong, unfunny and are not the views of the paper”.
Everton midfielder Barkley was out celebrating his side’s 4-2 win over Leicester City in the Premier League on Sunday when his lawyers said he was caught in an “unprovoked attack” in a club.
The Sun and MacKenzie are already very unpopular in the city because he was the paper’s editor when it published a story blaming Liverpool fans for the 1989 Hillsborough football stadium disaster.
Saturday will be the 28th anniversary of the tragedy in which 96 people died.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family