Munich (Germany) (AFP) – Bayern Munich coach Carlo Ancelotti admitted star striker Robert Lewandowski is a doubt for the Champions League clash with Real Madrid after he only trained for 20 minutes on Tuesday because of a bruised shoulder.
Lewandowski has scored 38 goals for Bayern this season, including seven in the Champions League, and is crucial to their chances in Wednesday’s quarter-final first leg at the Allianz Arena.
He injured his right shoulder on Saturday when he netted twice in Bayern’s 4-1 thrashing of Borussia Dortmund.
Lewandowski said after that game he was confident of facing Real, but his struggles in training on the eve of the match suggest he faces a battle to be ready.
“He trained today only for 20 minutes, because he had a problem in his last game. He felt good, but we’ll see how he feels tomorrow,” said Ancelotti in a press conference on Tuesday.
“If he has no pain, he will play, if he has pain, he won’t play.”
Ancelotti refused to be pressed when asked what the chances are of Lewandowski facing a Real side led by their superstar forward Cristiano Ronaldo.
“I can’t give a percentage, he trained today and we have to see how he feels,” said the Italian.
“He had a good feeling, but I can’t say whether he will feel better or not (tomorrow).”
If Lewandowski drops out, his place is likely to go to Thomas Mueller, who netted twice in the 6-0 drubbing of Augsburg a fortnight ago but has missed the last two games with an ankle injury.
“If he (Lewandowski) doesn’t play, it won’t affect our preparations and plans,” said Ancelotti.
“We know how important Lewandowski is to us, but we also have other good players.”
Winger Arjen Robben said the team were not nervous about the prospect of losing their star goal-scorer.
“The advantage we have is that we have a big team at our disposal, if he doesn’t play — which isn’t sure yet — we have other players who can step in which is why we are calm about it,” insisted Robben, who spent two years at Madrid before joining Bayern in 2009.
Bayern goalkeeper Manuel Neuer will be back between the posts after missing the last two games having had minor foot surgery nearly a fortnight ago.
“Neuer is fit, he trained well today and he will start the game,” confirmed Ancelotti.
But Bayern will definitely be without Germany centre-back Mats Hummels, who injured ankle ligaments in training on Sunday and is doubtful for the return leg on April 18.
In Hummels’ absence, Jerome Boateng and Javi Martinez will partner up at centre-back for Bayern, who are bidding to reach the semi-finals for the sixth year in a row.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family