Madrid (AFP) – Antoine Griezmann’s classy finish five minutes from time dealt Real Madrid’s La Liga title chances a huge blow as Atletico Madrid rescued a 1-1 draw at the Santiago Bernabeu.
Pepe’s towering header early in the second half looked to have Madrid heading five points clear at the top.
However, Barcelona now have a third straight title back in their own hands after Griezmann rounded Keylor Navas to slot home at the near post.
Real lead Barcelona by three points with eight games left, but the two face each other at the Bernabeu on April 23.
Barca can move top later on Saturday with victory at Malaga.
Atletico had won their three previous league visits to the Bernabeu and enjoyed the brighter start as Saul Niguez was inches away from opening the scoring inside five minutes when his header from Koke’s cross flew just wide.
Cristiano Ronaldo’s hat-trick separated the sides in a 3-0 Real win earlier this season and the World Player of the Year was first to threaten for the hosts as his near post drive was beaten away by Jan Oblak.
Griezmann hit the post at the other end but had already been flagged offside as Atletico maintained a threat on the counter-attack.
However, Real took control of the game as the first half wore on and only two stunning stops prevented Zinedine Zidane’s men from taking a half-time lead.
Firstly, Oblak tipped over Karim Benzema’s effort after a neat one-two with Ronaldo had freed the Frenchman inside the box.
Moments later Ronaldo couldn’t believe his eyes when his fierce goal-bound effort was turned to safety by Stefan Savic’s incredible headed clearance from under his own crossbar.
Griezmann was nearly gifted the opener just before half-time as he intercepted Sergio Ramos’s wayward crossfield pass and bore down on goal.
But Griezmann narrowed his own angle by verging left onto his favoured foot and his low effort was turned behind by Keylor Navas.
Real started the second half with intent as Ronaldo headed just wide before Oblak had to rush from his goal to block Benzema’s volley from point-blank range.
The European champions finally made the breakthrough just seven minutes into the second period when Pepe rose highest in a crowded penalty area from Toni Kroos’s free-kick to power a header into the far corner.
However, Atletico responded to falling behind and should have been level on the hour mark when Yannick Carrasco played in Fernando Torres clear on goal.
The former Spanish international failed to finish, though, as he fired straight at the onrushing Navas.
Navas has faced a barrage of criticsm this season, but he made another smart stop to deny Griezmann levelling with an outrageous overhead kick attempt.
The French international wasn’t to be denied from another excellent through ball from Carrasco with five minutes remaining, however, as he coolly fired past the advancing Navas at the near post for his 23rd goal of the season.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family