Los Angeles (AFP) – Mexico’s stranglehold on the CONCACAF Champions League will be assured once more after Tigres UANL downed Major League Soccer’s Vancouver Whitecaps 2-1 to set up a final showdown with Pachuca.
Mexican teams have been near-invincible in the CONCACAF region’s premier club competition over the past decade, winning every title since 2006.
This year’s finale will be the ninth all-Mexican affair in the past 12 competitions.
Tigres, last year’s beaten finalists, had been in control of the tie against Vancouver after winning the first leg 2-0.
Vancouver raised hopes of turning the tie around however when Brek Shea scored after only three minutes.
Tigres however were able to contain the Canadians thereafter and effectively made the game safe when French striker Andre-Pierre Gignac scored in the 63rd minute to make it 1-1 on the night, 3-1 on aggregate.
Damian Alvarez made the game safe for Tigres in the 84th minute, rounding off a superb flowing move with an emphatic finish high into the roof of the net.
Tigres will now face Pachuca in this month’s final. Pachuca defeated FC Dallas 3-1 on Tuesday to advance to the final.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Real Madrid look to Liverpool after goalless draw with Real Betis
- McKennie back in US squad for June friendlies, Nations League
- FIFA to announce 2026 World Cup host cities in June
- Rangers seek Scottish Cup silver lining after Europa pain
- Rangnick to meet Ten Hag as Man Utd seek Europa League salvation
- EPL commentators on NBC: May 22
- Marsch expects to stay on even if Leeds are relegated
- Bad blood stirred by scarf row ahead of German Cup final
- Gerrard only has eyes for Villa despite Premier League drama
- Stones, Walker returns boost Man City for final-day decider