For the first 45 games of the 2017 MLS season, the average attendance is virtually even with 2016 despite lots of empty seats at many MLS stadiums, particularly from this past weekend.
For gameweek 5, Chicago, Columbus, DC United, Houston and Minnesota reported disappointing attendances. New York City FC’s number could also be seen as soft as the club, for the second game in a row, reported a relative mediocre attendance considering they’re based in a city with a population of 8.4 million.
The biggest surprise for gameweek 5 was the attendance of 17,728 for Minnesota United’s game after their inaugural game drew over 35,000.
For gameweek 4 during the World Cup qualifiers, there were three MLS games played (three too many for my taste). Those attendances that weekend had the two lowest reported attendances of the season to date.
— Franco Panizo (@FrancoPanizo) April 1, 2017
Here are the reported attendances for MLS gameweek 5:
Here is the 2017 MLS attendance report through gameweek 5:
|MLS Attendance – Equal # of Home Games|
30+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes TUDN, GolTV, Univision, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more