Watford (United Kingdom) (AFP) – Miguel Britos scored his first goal in English football as Watford beat Sunderland 1-0 Saturday to nudge the basement club nearer relegation from the Premier League.
Defeat at Vicarage Road left Sunderland seven points from safety, with just nine league games remaining.
The northeast side had kept the game goalless for nearly an hour when Uruguay defender Britos broke the deadlock in the 59th minute.
After the ball had bounced around the box and hit the crossbar, a leaping Britos headed the ball down and into the goal to the delight of the home crowd.
Sunderland goalkeeper Jordan Pickford made several fine saves to deny M’Baye Niang and Abdoulaye Doucoure.
But his lone resistance could not prevent Watford recording their first win in five matches, a result that put daylight between the Hornets and the relegation zone.
By contrast, Sunderland have not even scored in their last five games and even the return of Jermain Defoe, on target for England in their 2-0 win over Lithuania in a World Cup qualifier, could not stop the rot.
Pickford was tested early on, palming a Niang shot to safety before producing a brilliant diving save to turn Doucoure’s follow-up over the crossbar.
Stefano Okaka missed a glorious chance to put Watford in front but his free header sailed over the crossbar, before Etienne Capoue curled a shot wide.
Watford lost the experienced Younes Kaboul to a hamstring injury shortly before the break.
Pickford made another good save to deny Niang again and, from the ensuing corner, Craig Cathcart headed straight at the Black Cats keeper.
The deadlock was finally broken just before the hour mark with a scrappy goal.
Okaka met Tom Cleverley’s corner with a header which Sunderland forward Fabio Borini unintentionally headed onto his own crossbar.
The ball came out to Cathcart, who headed it across goal for Britos to score at the far post.
Pickford then made another good save, with his legs, when left one-on-one with Watford substitute Isaac Success but was beaten by a Jose Holebas shot that just cleared the crossbar,
One goal, however, proved enough for Watford.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- International duty brings sweep of injuries to Barcelona
- Slaven Bilić becomes Watford’s 17th full-time manager since 2012
- Where to find Hungary vs. Italy on US TV
- Where to find England vs. Germany on US TV
- Sling Blue, Peacock and Paramount+ provide the best games for less
- Sling Blue to air over 50 Premier League games through year end
- Where to find Denmark vs. France on US TV
- Where to find Chelsea vs. Manchester City on US TV
- CBS Sports to televise more women’s soccer matches
- Messi claims he had trouble finding himself at PSG