London (AFP) – Manchester United defenders Phil Jones and Chris Smalling have been ruled out with “long-term injuries” suffered on England duty.
United manager Jose Mourinho revealed on Friday that Jones and Smalling won’t be back in action for a prolonged period.
Jones withdrew from the England squad last week due to a toe injury that appeared to be sustained in a training ground duel with team-mate Smalling, who days later left the squad with fitness problems of his own.
Smalling has been spotted with his right leg in a brace and Mourinho said they both face a substantial chunk of time on the sidelines.
Asked how long he expects to be without Jones and Smalling, the United boss said: “I don’t know.
“I know that Zlatan (Ibrahimovic) and (Ander) Herrera have the last match ban, so it’s easy to say they will be available after the match.
“I think clearly the two English boys they are long-term injuries and (Paul) Pogba I have no idea. I don’t know.”
Ibrahimovic and Herrera miss this weekend’s match against West Bromwich Albion through suspension, while France midfielder Pogba is out with a hamstring injury.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Summer transfer market shakes up power dynamic among elite
- Where to find Vélez Sársfield vs. River Plate on US TV
- Lukaku ‘very happy’ as he arrives in Milan ahead of Inter return
- Iniesta’s Vissel fire manager after less than three months
- UEFA do not lack ambition for women’s Euro, says Kessler
- Are World Cup tickets available for Qatar 2022?
- Minamino leaves Liverpool for Ligue 1 club Monaco
- Netherlands looks to snap World Cup dud at Qatar 2022
- Lukaku expected in Milan ‘this evening’ ahead of Inter return: CEO
- French minister apologises for Champions League chaos