Rome (AFP) – Gianluigi Buffon will make his 1,000th career appearance when the legendary goalkeeper pulls on the gloves once more for Italy on Friday against Albania.
The 39-year-old Juventus stopper made his professional debut in 1995 as a 17-year-old in goal for Parma and has gone on to become a football icon at home and abroad.
“This is going to be a great achievement. The only thing I can say with certainty is that there will not be 1,000 more,” he told a press conference on Thursday.
Buffon played 220 times for Parma and is at 612 appearances for Juventus — and counting.
The World Cup qualifier against Albania will make it his 168th cap for Italy and bring up the 1,000 landmark in all.
If Italy, in a tussle for top spot in qualifying Group G with Spain, reach Russia 2018 it will be Buffon’s sixth World Cup.
“I will have to think carefully and feel in my heart what may or may not happen,” he said.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season