Berlin (AFP) – German football legend Franz Beckenbauer appeared before Swiss prosecutors on Thursday as part of a corruption probe into the awarding of the 2006 World Cup to Germany.
“Today (Thursday) I was interviewed as part of a long scheduled hearing by the Swiss federal prosecutor and I answered his questions,” the former chairman of Germany’s 2006 bid committee said.
“Out of respect for the very correct federal prosecutor’s office, and also at his request, I will not speak any more about this case,” added Beckenbauer.
The Swiss investigation is focusing on a payment of 6.7 million euros made by the German Football Federation (DFB) to world football’s governing body FIFA in 2005.
Beckenbauer, 71, who won World Cup titles for West Germany as a player and a coach, headed the 2006 bid and has admitted making mistakes, but denied any wrongdoing over the tournament.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family